Brian & Brandi's Van's RV10 Build

Cowling pin covers


by Brian Monday, March 12, 2012

Brandi and I have been doing some work on the cowling again lately after a little break from it. We got a good idea for pin covers from another -10 builder and decided to go that route. You can see in the photo below on the left side where there is a strip of metal and a couple of clecos. The idea is you bend a piece of aluminum to wrap around the air inlet like this and there are two screws that will hold it in place on one end an the other end is bent to hook around the inside of the air inlet. This cover hides the hinge pin and also keeps it from coming out. After we put the aluminum cover in place we are building up the cowl around it so that it will sit flush. Its got a little bit of work to go but its nearly finished and should look real nice. 

Baffling progress


by Brian Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Child labor pushes the baffling section closer to completion. My sister Hannah was visiting for the weekend and she got tasked to help measure the trim lines on the baffling tops. She helped me gently lay the top cowl on while paper clips were in place so that we could tell how much of a gap there was all the way around and trim accordingly. Only thing left for baffling now is to attach the fabric on top.

Baffling attached


by Brian Friday, February 03, 2012

The baffling work has been fairly enjoyable. Its a nice break from fiberglass. I got the baffling attached and built up the front baffling, which is where there are a couple of challenging spots. The plans call for bending a conical shape piece to contour to the air inlet of the cowling. Wasnt too bad but takes some tweaking. The trickiest thing about baffling seems to be that sometimes you can just put the back or front ones right on or off but then the very next time you get it all snagged and it doesnt want to go on or off. I think I have figured out the trick most of the time is to push in the little curved parts on the baffling that scoop under the cylinders while installing/removing. The curved part I'm talking about is the parts that the cable will tie the baffling together underneath the engine. 

Also, when I went to attach the control cable to the prop governor it wasnt going to move through its full range of motion. I loosened the screw that held arm on the prop governor and was able to adjust it. Sometimes its the little things that make me proud of myself :)