Brian & Brandi's Van's RV10 Build

Windscreen fairing under way


by Brian Monday, March 19, 2012

Sunday was a nice sunny beautiful day, much like a lot of days recently, so we opened up the garage door while we worked. Brandi got the windscreen fairing started and it is coming along nicely. She followed the plans, which require several strips of fiberglass to be cut to length and, like most other builders, she dyed the fiberglass black, so that when you look through the window on the inside it is black and not like a bunch of fiberglass. Its turning out really great so far. She informed me that I get to sand when its dry. Yay!

 

 

Cabin top work


by Brian Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Brandi and I have spent a lot of time over the last few days sanding on the cabin top. We are working to get the lip on the door frame just right so that the Mcmaster door seal will fit snug on it. We are using super fill (the blue stuff in photos) to smooth out parts of the fiberglass. It fills in little gaps and is very easy to sand so its easy to get a nice paintable smooth surface with it. Its been very tricky trying to figure out exactly how the lip of the door frames should be but I think we are getting there.

Next stop will be to mount our overhead console to the cabin top. We purchased the one from https://aerosportproducts.com and its awesome! It fits great and will look really great when we're finished.

Windscreen test fit


by Brian Monday, July 04, 2011

I had it in my mind that trimming the plexiglass windscreen would be a big deal. It turned out it was pretty easy. Used a diamond wheel in the dremel to make the cut. It worked great. Only had to take it off a couple times to make small tweaks to the fit. The burning smell plexiglass made while cutting was pretty strong so I opened the garage door and let lots of fresh air in. Its best to cut plexi in warmer temperatures anyways so it worked out well since it was about 85 degrees outside. I peeled the plastic protective covering of the plexiglass back just a bit to make the cut and plexiglass 'dust' got stuck all over that. In hindsight, should have just cut 1" of the plastic off all the way around the edges and not peeled it back. Not a big deal. It fits on there great. On to the rear windows now.

Hello Kitty cabin top


by Brian Friday, July 01, 2011

After taking the cabin top off and on about 20 times and trimming it, I'm glad to say we finally have it fitted on there satisfactorily. What a chore it has been! It was a little confusing how much to trim and where so after looking at pictures of other 10's, reading the plans, and noodling over it for a while we finally just dove in and did it. Even though it wasnt actually that hard to complete, I think it was just hard to get started because we didnt want to mess it up.  We have the back side of the cabin top match drilled to the fuse and the door areas are counter sunk. Its pretty rewarding getting the cabin top on there even before its trimmed. When Brandi and I first set the cabin top on the fuse we could only get it about half way on because it needed more trimming but we climbed in and just sat in the back seat for a good 10 minutes. It was kind of like sitting in a fort as a kid. Not sure if part of it was just because we were kind of exhausted after all the work we had just done :)